One word challenge…Complication…
There are many ways to approach the idea of complication, I’m going to approach from the perspective of outcome.
What is a complication?
- It is something unexpected, unplanned
- It can be anything, a person, a place, a thing, an event, an experience, etc.
- It challenges a person or persons to respond or even react
- It cause a person or persons to adapt, to regroup, reorganize
- It may even require a new approach
- It may even require new skills, new understanding, new insights
At it’s simplest, complication is nothing more than a speed bump, in the road.
At it’s worst, complication can be a matter of life or death.
How does one prepare for the unexpected? …they don’t.
Still, it is possible for a person or persons to have enough flexibility in their plan to allow for the unexpected.
What does flexibility mean?
- Are you giving yourself and or your team enough time?
- Are you waiting until the last minute?
- Do you know how long it will take you and or your team to complete and deliver each of the given tasks?
- Do you have enough money to follow through?
- Do you have a way to get more money?
- Do you have a plan to find more money, if needed?
- Is it just you?
- How many people will it take for you to complete the task?
- Are any of the people irreplaceable?
- Will you or your team have to learn skills?
- Like skills, do you and or your team have enough knowledge to complete the task?
- Is there more than one way for you and or your team to complete the task?
- What will change if you have to choose an alternate course of action?
Flexibility can give you perspective, give you time and the freedom to consider the different possibilities.
In the end, flexibility is key to managing complications.
James Possible (aka DS Domination Dad)